Monday 5 April 2010

Richard Sutherland

Well, according to the countdown gadget at the top of this blog, there's only '1 days until launch night'. Aside from that being bad grammar, it's also a scary thought, but an exhilarating one too. 

Not even a single month has passed since I was toying with the idea of organising an exhibition of writing, and now here we are, with 10 sets of works on the walls of Hull Truck's upper foyer, posters and fliers being distributed across the city and the wider region, and a launch night less than 24 hours away. Blimey.

Since its inception, I've known that this exhibition would be a success, as I and my fellow authors have done nothing but discuss everything from readings and signings to wine and propaganda... sorry, promotional material... and, in my opinion, excited obsession/obsessive excitement is usually a good sign.

I for one can't wait for tomorrow night, when guests will arrive at the Theatre to view the cover artwork, get a taste of the writing styles, and discover the lives behind the words - individuals that hail from occupational backgrounds as diverse as accountant, prison governor, architect, cub leader and cucumber picker, and whose pens and computers have delivered to us an assortment of genres, from crime fiction and short stories to poetry and 'last man on Earth' sci-fi.

And then I remember that even if people can't attend the launch night, the exhibition will be running until the 1st of June, and this fills me with glee. Authors love to share, and I'm certain that I speak on behalf of all 10 of us when I say that we hope you enjoy our works; and perhaps you'll even leave the Theatre a little richer, a little wiser, or, at the very least, adequately entertained.

No comments:

Post a Comment