Thursday 25 March 2010

Nick Quantrill

I never thought I could be a writer. Attending a nautical school, art wasn’t high on the agenda, so my real education came in places like Hull Truck, with the countless productions I saw at Spring Street becoming an initial reference point for me writing about the city. In a wider context, this exhibition of new and emerging writers runs alongside a programme of events being held to celebrate the life and work of Philip Larkin. Too right, I say, but to paraphrase The Stones Roses, the past is yours, Philip, but the future is ours. This exhibition represents the tip of the iceberg in relation to writing in Hull, so let’s hope it helps make our literature scene all the more vibrant and accessible to those who also thought that writing wasn’t something for them.



No comments:

Post a Comment